- 1 cup of your favorite Oli+Ve Medium or Robust EVOO
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium onions, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 (35-oz.) can Italian plum tomatoes
- 1/4 t pepper
- 1 T chopped basil, or 1 t dried
- 1/8 t sugar
- 1/2 t salt (if tomatoes are salt-free)
- Heat oil in large skillet.
- Add next 4 ingredients and cook 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Push tomatoes and juice through a sieve (to remove seeds) and stir into vegetables in skillet. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 30 minutes.
Variations: For a velvety smooth sauce, puree cooked sauce in a food processor. For a darker sauce, cook vegetables until brown before adding tomatoes.