Almond-Lemon Agrumato Cake
· 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour + more for flouring pan
· 1/2 cup blanched almonds, toasted and then ground fine in a blender, grinder or food processor
· 1/2 cup fresh Lemon Agrumato(fused) Olive Oil + more for greasing pan
· 4 large eggs, beaten
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1 cup granulated sugar
· 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
· 1 teaspoon baking powder
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· Preheat the oven to 350 and adjust the rack to the middle of the oven. Using agrumato lemon olive oil, grease and flour one 9" cake pan.
· Combine the eggs, sugar, lemon agrumato olive oil, vanilla, and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk to thoroughly combine.
· Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and whisk to combine.
· Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in three batches, whisking after each addition. Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for five minutes in the pan and then gently run a knife around the side to loosen and invert on to a rack to fully cool.
Fresh Strawberry Preserve Topping
4 cups washed, hulled, strawberries sliced thin
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Combine the strawberries, sugar, zest, and juice in a heavy saucepan set over medium heat. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 7 minutes being careful that the contents do not boil over. Set aside and allow to thicken as it cools to room temperature before spreading over cake with a dollop of lightly whipped cream on each slice (optional)
Reprinted from Rachel Bradley-Gomez