Roasted Red Pepper Aioli
· 1 1/2 cups fresh, mild, extra virgin olive oil (California Arbequina)
· 1 small roasted red pepper, peeled, seeded, and diced
· 2 large egg yolks at room temperature**
· 2 garlic cloves, smashed
· 2 teaspoons sea salt
· 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
· 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
· In the bowl of a food processor or blender jar, add the egg yolks, salt, garlic, lemon juice, and pepper. Process until homogeneous.
· VERY SLOWLY, drop by drop, while the machine is running, drizzle in the olive oil. Extreme patience must be taken with this slow process initially, as too much olive oil poured in at once will cause the sauce to break. After half of the oil has been successfully emulsified, the rest of the oil can be added in slightly faster - but use caution here as too much at once will spell disaster!
· Once the olive oil is completely poured in and emulsified, remove the aioli to a sealed container and refrigerate. This condiment is fabulous on coleslaw, sandwiches, egg salad sandwiches, shoes... basically anything.
**This recipe contains raw egg yolks. If you have a compromised immune system, you can use pasteurized eggs for this recipe.
Makes approximately 2 cups
Reprinted from Rachel Bradley-Gomez