- 2 lb Beef chuck, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 4-6 Medium Morel mushrooms (substitute 3-4 well drained dry Porcini or other full flavored, full textured mushrooms)
- 3T Oli + Ve Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Garlic or any single varietal)
- 2T Butter (could substitute Oli + Ve Butter Oil)
- 1 Onion, yellow, medium, diced
- 2 Garlic cloves (less if using Garlic oil)
- 2 Carrots, diced
- 2 Tomatoes, plum, medium, diced, peeled
- 1 Celery stalk, diced
- 1 Bouquet garni (1 Italian parsley sprig, 1 thyme sprig, and 1 bay leaf tied)
- 1T flour
- 2c Red wine
Place mushrooms in a bowl of boiling water to cover, for two minutes then set aside. Season beef cubes, sear in butter and set aside. Sauté (using olive oil) onion, garlic, carrots, tomatoes, and celery until vegetables soften (5 minutes). Return beef to pot and add bouquet garni. Mix half the wine with the flour making sure there are no lumps and pour into pot. Add the remainder of the wine. Cover and simmer for 2-3 hours.
Drain mushrooms, rough chop, reserve liquid. Add mushrooms to pot. Strain the reserved mushroom water through a coffee filter and add the liquid to the pot. Cover and simmer another half hour.
Remove bouquet garni. Strain if desired. Season with salt and pepper.
*Compliments of Stonesthrow Winery. Check them out at www.stonestrowwinery.com!